I trained at the newly renovated gym just down the road from home this week. It has the slogan pictured above painted on the wall in big letters “#nae excuses” or no excuses for those of you who don’t understand Scottish slang. This got me thinking about different ways you can motivate yourself to go to the gym when you are having one of those down days, or reaching that January slump.
Firstly I have been finding it difficult to constantly find motivation over the past week due to being run down with two colds. January really is the worst time of the year for catching the common cold. You just can’t avoid it when out and about, that’s why it’s even more to important fill yourself with good nutrition! If you are feeling a bit under the weather I would advise you to have a day off training and rest up to help that illness go away. The gym will still be there when you are feeling better and you will perform much better having rested!
Anyway enough on icky colds and more on how I motivate myself to get to the gym in the winter.
- If I am going to the gym on a day I’m at uni, I take my gym clothes with me or wear my gym clothes to uni. That way I won’t go home and have to deal with the effort of going out into the cold again.
- On days that you are at home, as soon as you get up change into those gym clothes! That way you are already half way there and dressed the part.
- Think of how good you will feel after the workout. Even if you don’t have a particularly good workout you will still feel a whole lot more energised and optimistic than before you worked out!
- Take a friend a long so you can motivate each other.
- Make a goal for summer. Whether it’s to lose those extra few pounds put on over Christmas or gain muscle mass, working towards that goal will motivate you.
- Lastly enjoy it. Exercise is great fun if you find what works for you!
I hope these ideas helped for those that are struggling to find the motivation!